Bison meat, also known as buffalo, is one of the healthiest meats you can buy. It’s lower in fat and cholesterol than other meats and it has no antibiotics or hormones added to it during production. In addition, bison raised in North America can graze on open land, meaning they are not kept in cramped cages, feedlots, or pens like many other animals are. Because of these benefits, bison meat can be substituted in almost any dish with excellent results. Here’s how to cook the perfect bison steak at home.
Choose your cut
The bison meat is so lean, you can use it in any recipe that calls for ground beef. Buffalo hot dogs are a great way to get creative with your favorite recipes! Here’s how to make the perfect bison hot dog.
1. Start by adding water, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a pot on high heat.
2. When boiling, lower the heat and add one pound of bison meat.
3. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
4. In a pan on medium-high heat, add oil then add diced onions and bell peppers
5. Cook for about five minutes or until soft but not browned; set aside in a bowl while you assemble everything else. Add two slices of cheese (your choice) to each roll and microwave them for 15 seconds or just enough time to melt the cheese. Take out the rolls from the microwave and place a spoonful of sauerkraut in each one, followed by some onion and bell pepper mix. Lay a hot dog on top of each sandwich, then cover it with an aluminum foil tent. Grill on medium-high heat for about ten minutes or until heated through; serve warm with mustard sauce.
Learn how to grill it
Grilled bison is a great choice for an outdoor barbecue or tailgate party. The meat has a low-fat content and is lean, making it an excellent option for those watching their weight.
Always be mindful of cooking times when grilling bison meat as you may need to adjust cooking time depending on your desired doneness. For medium-rare, grill bison steaks at 400°F until they have reached an internal temperature of 140°F and rest them for five minutes before serving. Bison hot dogs are another popular food item that can be made with ground bison meat. To make these, simply mix some water into the ground bison until it becomes pasty in consistency and then form it into a loaf shape before wrapping it in bacon.
Make sure you get it hot enough
Even though bison meat is leaner than beef, you want to make sure that it gets cooked enough. One way of doing this is by grilling your bison and then searing it on the stovetop. This will ensure that your meat is cooked all the way through so there’s no risk of getting any cases of food poisoning. Additionally, when cooking bison meat, be sure not to overdo it because otherwise, you’ll get a gamey flavor which some people may find offputting. Bison hot dogs are another delicious option, but in order to avoid having dry bison hot dogs, you should consider adding mustard or ketchup before putting them in the oven. If you’re looking for something with a bit more oomph, consider making bison chili or spaghetti and bison meatballs.
Main photo: Emerson Vieira/unsplash.com